Wednesday, August 10, 2011

WWW Wednesday


To play along, just answer the follwoing three questions:

1. What are you currently reading?

2. What did you recently finish reading?

3. What do you think you'll read next?



Currently Reading:

The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory
I found this one to be a little awkward to read in public and after some strange looks at soccer practice, picked up The Lost Hours. Now I'm 100 pages away from finishing this and loving it!




Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares
I started listening to this before vacation and obviously didn't listen while on vacation. I wasn't really thrilled with how it started but I've been told it gets better so I am sticking with it!




Recently Finished:

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babit
I read this as my "1975" choice for The Century Challenge. We listened to it on our way to visit friends in MA. Since my son's name is Tucker, he was interested in it because of the title but we both quickly got wrapped up in the story of the Tuck family who never ages.

The Lost Hours by Karen White
Like I said above, I picked this up because it was awkward to read the Virgin's Lover in public. It has been on my TBR (and my shelf) for a couple of month and I really enjoyed it. It's about a woman who realizes after she dies that her grandmother had a story to tell and her regret in not listening to the story while her grandmother was alive. This really struck home with me as I work with the elderly and always wish I could know more about the lives they lived. Usually by the time I meet them, they're are pretty advanced with dementia.


Coming Up:

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult

The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier




6 comments:

  1. The Lost Hours sounds interesting. I teach knitting a couple of nights a week, and my favorite students are the seniors who come in to "relearn" knitting after a stroke. It's amazing to see how much their hands remember after the mind forgets...and I love when they start telling stories.
    WWW @ Dark Side of the Covers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuck Everlasting...that was made into a movie, wasn't it? I remember it being sad! That Century Challenge sounds interesting, though. I'll have to check it out.

    Here's mine: http://www.faeryinkpress.com/archives/761

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reads! Haven't read these yet - but I now have more things to add to my TBR list! :)

    Here's mine:

    http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2011/08/www-wednesdays.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tuck Everlasting was a good book and @Clare, yes it was. The book, of course, was better though. My 12 yo son loved the book too.

    Aine
    House Millar - WWW Wednesdays

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha - it sounds like your experience of reading The Virgin's Lover was equivalent to my experience reading Twilight in the London tubes! I ended up hiding it in brown paper ;)

    I hope you enjoy the Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. It's a lovely story!

    New follower :)
    http://thebookgatherer.blogspot.com/2011/08/www-wednesdays_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Philippa Gregory sure writes beuatiful Historical novels. <3

    Oh and I'm a new follower. :)
    My Wednesday Entry @ For The Love of... Reading!

    ReplyDelete