Thursday, November 10, 2011

WWW Wednesday

Currently Reading:

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke


Recently Finished:

Matched by Ally Condie
I picked this up on a whim at my son's book fair and ended up loving it! It's the story of a girl in a future society where they are matched with their life mate at the age of 17. It's another YA dystopian book and I really enjoyed it; can't wait to read the next one!

The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman
I had heard good things about this book and having never read anything by Hoffman, I was curious. It's the story of a garden and the strange things that grow there over hundreds of years and the people who live in the same small town. It was interesting to have a story centered around one specific area and the stories of the people over a couple of hundred years.


The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
I read this for the Wordsworth Classics Challenge with my son. I received it as a gift when I was 8 and had never read it so I figured it was probably time to read it! lol

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
I read this for two challenges: the Wordsworth Classics Challenge and 1001 Books You Must Read. I found it a little wordy but overall it was pretty food.

Roots by Alex Haley
This was my 1976 choice for The Century Challenge. This took me forever but I am so glad I persevered and made it through. I thought the ending seemed a little rushed...it took over 600 pages to get from the 1700s to the emancipation of the slaves and it fast-forwarded to present times. But I did really enjoy it and got very wrapped in the story of all the characters.

The Quiet American by Graham Greene
I read this as my "Q" choice for the A to Z Challenge and also for the 1001 Book You Must Read Challenge.

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
This was my 1977 choice for The Century Challenge and I loved every page of it! This is only the the 2nd book I have read of hers and I will be reading more!

Coming Up:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment